Author Topic: Thumb toplist shows wrong thumbs  (Read 11896 times)

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Thumb toplist shows wrong thumbs
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:26:50 PM »
I'm just setting up the thumb grabber and thumb toplist feature.

I have the grabber set to grab 3 thumbs from each trade and I have one crop style defined.

For some sites the grabber finds fewer than 3 thumbs (sometimes none).  That in itself is not a problem, I'd just exclude those sites from the toplist.  But, the problem is that I can't easily tell in the toplist template whether a particular thumb has been grabbed - and when TP goes to show thumbs that haven't been grabbed it is substituting thumbs from a different trade.  So I end up with a thumb grabbed from site X linked to site Y.  Not good...

What it seems we need is some way of saying "dont include in the toplist trades that dont have thumb number N" or at the very least, some way of automatically displaying something harmless like a generic 'great site' thumb from our server,  for thumbs that don't exist.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline ip0li

• miSearkXD
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Premier Сasual Dating Real-life Girls
Re: Thumb toplist shows wrong thumbs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
TP is coded that way so when no thumbs are avilable it uses random thumb. I can additional feature to not include trades without thumbs in future versions. You can always edit those trades and use custom thumb option in edit trade window.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 05:19:41 AM »
Ok Ip0li, thanks for the explanation.

IMHO I think it very poor practice to use thumbs from one trade to promote another.  I put time and effort into making productive (I hope) thumbs - and if I found a site that was using one of my thumbs to promote some other site I would consider that to be outright theft.

In terms of how to deal with this I would consider these options:
1. allow the definition of a global 'default' thumb to be used in case of missing or shortfall in grabbed thumbs - this gives maximum control
2. possibly allow the definition of a default thumb on a per trade basis
3. If I'm asking for thumb '3' but there are only 2 then use thumb 2 - or a random selection but from the SAME trade
4. disable the appearance of a trade in the toplist if I'm asking for a non existent thumb in the template

Please could you at the very least include a description in the manual that this current behaviour is a 'feature' rather than a bug - I spent the best part of 4 hours yesterday trying to figure out why I was getting the wrong thumbs for some trades

While we're on the topic, another feature I'd find extremely useful is a way to preview the grabbed thumbs.  While trying to figure out my original problem I knocked up a quick directory viewer that displayed all thumbs in the grabber directory listed by site.  That's what finally showed me what was going on.

Thanks

Offline ip0li

• miSearkXD
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:58:08 AM »
ok thnx for suggestions, I added this topic to da list of todo things. cheers

Offline ip0li

• miSearkXD
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 05:43:39 AM »
info@scriptpulse.com

send me email together with copy/paste of problem and link to this post also include ftp and tp login info so we can fix it. cheers

I am having big prob with this too. My first site I did seems to grab thumbs fine, before last build(months ago). But the last couple of sites (using exact same code) doesnt show proper ANY of the correct thumbs. I regrabbed the thumbs a few times, even deleted them all and did this over again, something is really different, is there a chance this last build did something?

I checked my code to ensure nothing was shifted over or anything, ALL is the same in that sense.

the new sites even have the same size thumbs, any ideas?

Check this toplist out at bottom : http://www.domain.com/

same as last few toplists i used from first site. They are ranked by prod last hour, the first i site a did beginning of year works just fine

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:51:14 AM by ip0li »