Author Topic: Minor bug with cookies (www.domain.com vs domain.com)  (Read 8101 times)

Offline allniche

• View Profile
Minor bug with cookies (www.domain.com vs domain.com)
« on: August 26, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »
In looking over the External Info feature (thanks again for the information kildoozer) I noticed that there appears to be an issue with the way cookies are being set and read by Trade Pulse which could hinder the effectiveness of the feature.  It seems different (x) cookies are set for both the "www.domain.com" and the "domain.com" version of the site.  So if a surfer initially enters using www.domain.com, gets sent out to a trade, then comes back through some means using "domain.com" (rather than www.domain.com) the "x" cookie for "www.domain.com" does not seem to be seen and another one is created or used (see http://content.websitegear.com/article/subdomain_tips.htm for more info).  This probably effects other features and tracking of things like bookmark stats too?

I know one way to fix it on the webmaster's side is to force only one version to be used via .htaccess but I notice most people don't do this so the above probably causes a lot of inefficiencies. 

I don't know if a good solution might be to set ".domain.com" as well as the default version as two separate cookies kept in sync by TP.  Then you might want to make this able to be disabled if for some reason someone wants subdomains kept separate (the way you do it now).  For example if they have separate TP installs on different subdomains they might not want the cookies to be sync'd because the different installs are for different  sites/subdomains.