Author Topic: server overload protection?  (Read 8053 times)

Offline bbhrucy79

• View Profile
    • Pussy in Style
server overload protection?
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:45:20 PM »
I have 5 TPs on my server, so if I set server overload protection, do I have to set it on each TP or only on one?

Also, how many threads recommended? I am in the dark here a bit since I dont know how many crons TP runs ...

I know one is grabbing another is rebuilding tops but there must be more. Any insight appreciated.

I never used this feature before and TP is fine but hey, if balancing the loads makes my sites load faster than I want to give it a shot.

Offline allniche

• View Profile
Re: server overload protection?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure you have to enable it on each one and set the same directory for the threads if you want it to work effectively.  How many threads probably depends on your server (I keep mine on the default 5 and I have 14 installs) and how close it gets to being overloaded now.  With only five installs it is unlikely you will see any problems without it or see any significant speed gains by enabling it.  From what I read the crons normally only run once a minute per site.  I believe the toplists and grabbing are triggered on the next cron when they are due.  But I may be wrong since I am just a webmaster like you and not TP support. :)

Offline bbhrucy79

• View Profile
    • Pussy in Style
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »
allniche,

Thanks 4 the insights! I see you are as well a web site optimization fanatic like me lol :-). I read your thread about tweaking the TP algo. Very insightful. If only I had the brain you have, I could tweak it as well. For now I just play with the 'bonuses'. ;-)

But for sure, you cannot make a mistake by speeding up your site, this is one of the most important things for productivity and growth. I think I am doing everything I can code wise to speed up my site loading. Thanks for the info!

By the way what is your network page for your sites, if you have babes/soft core sites maybe we can set up some mutually productive trades.

mine is: www.pussyinstyle.net/NETWORK/naughtypixietrades.php

Offline allniche

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »
You're welcome, bbhrucy79.  I'm Glad it helped!  Mine is in my profile on the little blue "world like" icon or my sig at ADX.  I don't have any babe or teen sites unfortunately. The closest mainstream sites I have for trades is a general fetish tube site and a milf tube site.  Looking at the algorithm and modifying it was a big learning experience for me.  It helped me get a better idea of how things work and was kind of fun. :) It's not as hard as it looks although it is very easy to screw something up.  To be honest I'm still not 100% sure that I didn't mess something up. LOL